i've been thinking about what i would write today.
would i post a bunch of pictures, neatly documenting all that i have left of my pregnancy and birth of a baby that didn't live? would they, in a colorful row, evidence that i am indeed NOT crazy...that i am a mother to a dead baby?
would i bake the cake (red velvet), decorate it (whipped cream cheese frosting and strawberries and pink sugar crystals), photograph it (in my usual suck-ass picture-taking style), and then post it and tell about how i nearly lost it in the supermarket yesterday? how i thought about how one year ago yesterday i was wandering around the supermarket with husband, looking at all the babies and talking about how we were going to have her any minute, buying nursing bras and newborn diapers, with a dead baby in my belly? how i tried to hide some tears while trying to decide whether to buy one of those stupid *1* candles? how i then decided that the 1 candle would be way to creepy, even for a deadbaby-crazy mom?
the day is here, and i have no pictures to post. i have my stack of stuff: a positive pregnancy test, some photos of a pregnant me, some photos of a dead baby girl, a stained baby hat and receiving blanket, some letters of condolence, a couple of letters of donations in her name. let's not forget, and i almost did, a cardboard box of ashes in a gray plastic shopping bag. not much. who said recently that it's the ego that holds on to objects to prove that we are? i don't even know if i got that right...i just know that i believe it. i just know that i don't need those things to know her. i don't need those things to know it really happened to me. i don't need those things to keep me anchored in that time and place, because really, what she has given to me has no time or place or weight.
this thing has two lives: my suffering as a mother to a dead baby and all the raw, fleshy, memory-laden sadness and anger...and my growth and learning as a mother to a baby that will only teach me about myself and life and never piss me off with diapers exploding with shit, waking me up in the night, and fighting relentlessly with her siblings. the first mother needs to have stuff; the first mother needs to revel in the things, the evidence, the horror...she needs the memories, the details. the second mother wrote that airy shit in the last paragraph.
but today, today is the actual day...
i bought some chocolate mimosa tree seeds last week, and i want to start them today. mimosa trees have tiny, ferny leaves that close up at night (and when touched) and big, fluffy, pink perfumed flowers. the regular variety has green leaves, but the chocolate has brown. it grows 3-6 feet per year, with a 10'-30' shade umbrella. i think it is the perfect tree for sitting under...whichever mother i am that day.
i finally, after calling to follow-up about four times over the past year, got the call that p@ige's plaque is up in L&D. can you imagine it took this long? i might go over and see it today. and take a picture. (i hope it's not too hard to get a good photo of it, being brass and all...i suck.)
i want to try to write a letter to the sister of a co-worker who's carrying a baby with anencephaly. she wants to carry the baby to term. i want to tell her that her choice is beautiful- that she can appreciate what she has as the delicate thing it is, especially because i wish i knew i needed to when i was pregnant. i also want to give her a listing of blogs that i found written by moms who chose what she is choosing...because i am always surprised by the number of people who still have no idea what blogs are, and i don't know what i would have done without my deadbabymafia. (and in doing so i hope you all realize what i really mean to say is thank you, except in a much deeper way than those words can ever express...)
i want to contact the village cemetery and find out how we can create a small stillborn area where parents can scatter their baby's ashes. i imagine that some will choose to scatter their ashes there because they can't afford a plot and headstone, but others will choose it simply because they didn't realize they would need a place to visit when they were sitting in a hospital bed making decisions about their dead baby. i have no idea what that space would look like, if its creation is even possible, but i want to find out.
those are all the things i imagine i can do today...but this day, this actual day, my alive daughter told me that we need to wait for everyone to come over before we sing the happy birthday song.
"not this time," i told her, "nobody is coming over for this birthday. it's just for us."
i will try to extend her memory out of our bounds; i will try to plant and photograph and write and dedicate. i wonder if i will ever get over the fact that p@ige is only for us.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

24 comments:
Charmed, this is a magnificent, beautiful, gut-wrenching post. I love the part about the two moms. (I guess taking that into consideration, I'm a real schizophrenic 3-4 myself.)
Whatever you do today, cake or no, visit or no, pictures or no, phone call today (or next week, or in two months), it's all good, it's all right. Just be today, just be. I know no one else "knows" our children, but in some sense I feel I know them all as if you lived next door and they occupied space in my family room in their own ephemeral ways.
Happy Birthday, paige. You are remembered.
Paige is in my thoughts as well.
Happy Birthday, Paige.
You and Paige are in my heart today. I thought this post was absolutely beautiful, so well written. I hope today is a day of at least some happiness for you, mixed in with the deepest of grief of course. I think it's gorgeous that you're having a birthday celebration. I think we all have that "two moms" feeling sometimes...
Happy Birthday Paige.
You are doing a beautiful job allowing yourself these emotions and finding a way to honor her day.
Thinking of you, and Paige...
Remembering Paige and thinking of you today. I hope the picture of the plaque turns out, I'd love to see it.
xxoo
Thinking of you and P@ige and remembering..........
i wonder if i will ever get over the fact that p@ige is only for us.
It is a tribute to her beautiful life that you share her with us. Not the life you imagined, I know. But I consider it a privilege to read about her and I will light a candle today to honor her on her birthday.
I'm so very sorry. When I lost my boys, somehow I found you and you said the things I felt. It seems Paige has given me a gift in that I have felt less alone, less crazy because she existed and you exist. Little comfort, I know, but I wanted to say it.
I am thinking of you and Paige today.
Thinking of you and Paige today. Happy Birthday, Paige. You're all in my heart today.
Thinking of you and Paige today.
Stunning post, Charmed. Seriously. It probably won't offer a whole lot of solace, but know that, today, your home is filled, in spirit, with all the women that have been touched by your story of Paige - and there are so many. We all sing (off-key very likely) while our hearts cry.
Happy Birthday, sweet Paige. Happy Birthday.
Happy Birthday Paige
This is such a beautiful and gut-wrenching post. Thanks for sharing, thanks for letting us hear the name Paige, letting us know you, too.
Thinking of you, and Paige.
What an amazing post. But it's a little hard to admire the writing when my heart is breaking all over again.
Thinking of you.
Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you both today. It's tough this year thing. I hope is kind to you, or as kind as these things can be.
Love K x
Thinking of you and P@ige today. Whatever you do will be right for you!
Remembering Paige today and thinking about all of you! *hugs*
Happy Birthday little miracle girl!
Thinking of you and Paige today.
Charmed, you and Paige are in my thoughts today.
And, as for your statement that "i am always surprised by the number of people who still have no idea what blogs are" - I was one of those people until 9 months ago, one month after my daughter died.
I don't have my own blog, and I don't comment often, but please know that your words have meant the world to me. Thank you.
It's past midnight here, but I wanted you to know I was thinking of you and P@ige today.
This is a beautiful and raw post. I hope in the end you found some peace and some comfort this day. We didn't bake this first year, but Monkey has told me that she wants to in the future, so I think there will be baking this winter.
As for the only us part... It still has the power to get to me like almost nothing else.
Happy Birthday Paige. And good for you for memorializing however and whatever you did. It is so hard to do.
We celebrated our Emma's 8th birthday the day before Paige's. It's special this bond we mother's have and I like to think there is already a stillbirth section in the spirit world, where - even as we are struggling with how to remember them on their birthday, all our babies gather to check in on us.
You are such a strong mother - your writing reflects it.
I'm nearly a week late now, but Happy Birthday, Paige. <3
I'm so sorry that I missed Paige's birthday, but know that I think of you, and of her - and send you much love.
x
Post a Comment