Saturday, January 19, 2008

hope?

i've always had a problem with illusive concepts that lull a person into a dangerous kind of passivity. ideas that keep one from confronting issues and feelings that can destroy their lives and relationships.

for example, i've always had a problem with the concept of trust. if you ask someone what makes a good relationship, they will no-doubtedly pull the trust card (usually not knowing what the fuck they even mean by it, like "good communication"). i've always said bullshit to trust. isn't trust just a lazy way of saying, "i don't really want to put the energy into this whole thing, so just make sure you always do what i would want you to do, ok? i'm also pretty damn selfish, so don't go trying to sneak anything in just for yourself. got it, big boy (or little girl)? if something feels uncomfortable to me, i trust you will put my wants and needs before your own."

i've found people who don't (or can't) trust themselves to have the hardest time with the whole trust thing. isn't easier to just put all the responsibility for your own happiness onto someone else? isn't it better to have someone else to blame? don't get me wrong, i also feel that mistrust is just as dangerous. how many missed opportunities for growth have been passed by because of a blind mistrust?

basically i think it comes down to a lack of constant evaluation and revision in our lives. with new information and knowledge comes the responsibility to (re)evaluate your situation, and revise your beliefs and practices and alliances accordingly. trust or mistrust in (whatever) is the lazy person's downfall.

since my baby died, i've found i have a similar problem with the concept of hope. what is this hope, but a way to live in the future? a way to try to blind one's self to the present moment, one's present anguish and pain? i will admit, it's quite tempting...but something i just can't accept. the same way living in the past with its what ifs and what could have beens can bury you alive, so will living in the future.

hope can do nothing for me in this moment except distract me from my work, from my grief, from real growth. hope is a wolf in sheep's clothing; worse, in fact. hope is a siren's song.

for this moment, i feel just about as fucked up as ever. i am ruined. that is my truth, and facing it without the bullshit of hope is the only thing that can help. without the truth of this moment, while breathing in and out, we die.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, you don't know me but I'm a sometimes reader who just wants to say yes, well said. and my heart goes out to you for the loss of your baby girl.

in grieving there is so much attention (mostly imposed by others) on moving past the painful present moment and on to some point when time can start to heal. after some undeterminable (is that even a word?) mourning period, people expect you to somehow pick up the shards of your life and quietly move on. hope is like the carrot we dangle to lead us twds the future.

grief and loss make people uncomfortable. even those that stick around try to encourage you with hope for the future. not enough value and acceptance is placed on the here and now and the need to feel every piece of it, for however long it takes before the pain can eventually subside into the deep place in your heart where it will live forever.

time is supposed to heal, but I think there is also something disquieting about the distance of time that puts even more space between us and what we've lost...

~luna

Coggy said...

I agree whole-heartedly. When I try and hope and think forward I end up feeling even more screwed up than I do now. I literally have to live right in the now. Something I've always kind of thought I should be doing before but now I have no choice and it sucks. I know some things I will be doing next week, next month maybe even next year but they are just appointments. I do not think or hope where I might be in a years time. I can not.

The 'normal' people in my life think I'm a freak now. The fact that I have no sense of future. No hope I guess. I have my yearly appraisal at work next month and I am dreading the 'where do you see yourself next year'. I have no clue at all. None. I barely have the strength to lift my head above the water long enough to just face every day let alone every imagined future day.

I don't feel any less fucked up either. I don't know where I am going, what I'm doing or who I am. Fucked up indeed.

Tash said...

I tell people (well, y'all, my husband, and my therapist) that "I have no horizon" which is sorta the same thing. What flowers and sunshine could I possibly think of my future to dredge me up from where I am now? What kind of plans can I really make when I don't care, Maddy won't be there, and now I'm completely aware that something totally lousy could happen? And frankly, like the above said, I think it's actually healthy and important to be in the now, and not hustle through this shit so we just have to turn it over later. I suppose we could *hope* that we get through it sooner than later.

I really like what you said about trust. I rather feel the same way, that people toss it around like euphemism for something else -- hurt? pain? their own sense of worth?

Anonymous said...

This is just my two cents...

Maybe hope doesn't have to be about living in the future. For me, it is about living right now, but with a different focus.

Our lives will never be like they once were, never quite as happy or innocent... we live on a different scale now. So I just try to concentrate on recognizing and acknowledging even the tiniest moments of happiness or peace. It doesn't mean I don't feel or acknowledge the negative bits too, but I try not to always compare them or think about how much better the good could be if...

If is just not an option.

I do think you have to be very careful when it comes to the idea of feeling all of the pain in the moment. If you never think about moving past it, if you never take steps to help yourself to heal, you will wallow in the pain forever and then your whole life has been lost. I don't think that is what anyone wants. Whether you believe it or not in the moment, I do think that there will be peace for you and that it is worth finding moments in every day that are at least not terrible.

I think that moving forward is good. It doesn't mean you have ever, will ever, forget your loss or your pain. It doesn't mean anything, except that you want to continue to live your life... and I honestly hope that you do want that.

c. said...

I guess I thought hope was going to be the thing that got me out of here. That it would be the one thing that could thrust me out of this grief and everything that goes along with it. It’s all a bit too positive for me, really. The whole hope for the future thing. I can’t see past the devastation that is today really or the heartache I feel for yesterday. I can’t imagine moving out of this mindset. I want to feel what I feel now simply because it is the only connection I have to the son I couldn’t bring home. I want to feel each wretched moment just so I don’t forget what got me here in the first place. Hope simply takes me away from my baby. Hope tears me away from the reality that was my son. I prefer this reality to a false one filled with hope. Hands down. Absolutely.

meg said...

Screw trust and hope. I don't believe in either of those things anymore. Maybe I never did?

Depressionista said...

We named our daughter Hope--and afterwards I sometimes wonder why, because losing her was like losing the concept of hope altogether. Maybe it's because we wanted her to be a reminder that we needed to hope, I don't know. This is getting mushed up.

Anyway. This is the problem I have with faith and religion--the blind trust aspect of it. Sometimes I'm able to go with it, sometimes not.

For me, hope was and is something I can't actively or even consciously will myself to feel. It's either there, or it isn't. For a very long time, I thought it would never be there again...and there are still times now when it feels completely gone, but it comes back.

I worry about posting this because things aren't as fresh for me as for you and some of your other readers and I don't want to be that annoying person who says time will heal all while inside you are feeling like each minute is a lifetime of pain. I guess I just wanted to add my experience...and mine has been that somehow, completely without help, hope visits me now and again.

I'm so sorry for how much you hurt right now.

samill said...

Hi charmedgirl,

I haven't posted before, but read a lot of your comments on other's blogs.

I *hoped* that my last pregnancy would turn out ok. It didn't. I used to know what I wanted and aim for it, now I'm just glad to get through the week.

Is this our gift? They say that losing a child is "the hardest thing". I do think that hard things always leave you with something, even if it's just an increased ability to cope, or a new insight of some kind. Maybe this hard thing gives you living in the present, the state all buddhas prescribe to be the ideal.

If the current moment feels painful I think you have to accept it and only by doing that do you move past it. By hoping it will go away or thinking back to a moment when it wasn't there, you are denying it's existence and it will want to hang around and get you to notice it. By accepting it, exploring it and even embracing it, you give yourself permission to feel it and also to let it go.

charmedgirl said...

the thing is (and this may be semantics here but..) hope means the future, and the future is unknowable; the future is a fantasy. in the moment, i can feel peace when it comes (and it does sometimes). and i think as time passes i will get more moments of peace. but this thing is also circular in that peace will not just increase because the time past increases. the moment is what it is, and straining for hope will only dilute my experience.

i guess one would have to be careful about the cave of despair, but here i am writing and stuff, so i wait and see. and breathe in and out, this moment.

niobe said...

Luckily for me, I've never bought into the whole hope and trust concept anyway. Which is why the death of my twins didn't really change much about my view of the world. And (though it makes me feel immensely guilty that I got off so easy) why I think that I've felt and feel a lot less pain than other people.

G$ said...

Maybe not even being at the 3 month mark yet, makes me see things a little naively... But the idea of *not* having hope scares and frightens me far too much. In fact I can feel myself tense up reading everyone's comments... Maybe I am masking the grief in my hope that the future will not bring more horribleness. For now, it's my coping mechanism.

There are days when I sit down with my grief and fully live in the here and now. But most days I have to know that there is more than this.

Anonymous said...

Firstly I'm very sorry to read about your loss. (And that sounds totally corny because people always say that, but it really is from the heart.)

You're totally right. Life is all about re-evaluating and readjusting. It's all about doing exactly what you are comfortable with. If you're uncomfortable with hope right now, simply choose not to believe in it. But, as you grow and as there is distance, that may change. Hope is just like really, really good friends, it's always there for you even when you have to be away from it for a while. Hope would be a real asshole to try to force you to believe in it while you're still into feeling other things right now. But, don't worry because even if you're never totally ok with it again. It's still out there always with open arms, just in case. :)

Julia said...

I am not sure what hope means now. I don't think anything in front of me is clear. I don't take anything for granted or even expect it to turn out any particular way. But I am not sure I don't have something somebody else would call hope. Not for a happy sunshine and puppies life-- I don't expect to ever go there. But for finding some new equilibrium some day, what they call "the new normal" I think. Some days I think we are there already and this is about how we will be, and other days it feels like not yet. But maybe we will always be in flux now.

M said...

'..hope can do nothing for me in this moment except distract me from my work, from my grief, from real growth. hope is a wolf in sheep's clothing; worse, in fact. hope is a siren's song..'

I wish I had written these words. so, so true..... x

anarchist mom said...

I've questioned hope a lot since I lost my DS. I'm somebody who has always thrived on hope, never lived in the present. It's how I've been in school for so long, LMAO. I've become so good at justifying present suffering, because in the end, it will pay off. And I've made it through many miserable months on bedrest on hope alone. And the deal with hope, is that you have to believe you're working for something. It's a deal, there is a pay off. I spent 8 weeks on bedrest, each week gaining more and more hope. By the time I was term, I was so cavalier, so entitled, I'd done EVERYTHING, I made it, 37 weeks. My bedrest paid off. I celebrated, because I overcame preterm labor. Then my son died with no apparent cause, perfect in every way. And 'hope' has been on my mind ever since.

Because I'm an atheist, I don't feel there was a purpose, or that there is a purpose or a lesson or an intention in what happened. I think it saves me from the 'why me's', and for that I'm thankful. I don't think stillbirth is in any benevolent god's master plan. But my atheism poses another problem, and that is, what is driving me then? Right now, two months out, there is nothing driving me. How can I ever dare to hope again? I think there is something in our gut that drives us forward, I don't know what that force is, but I would've described it as hope. Now I'm starting to look again at nihilism, and other philosophies, really trying to understand why anyone would ever hope in the first place. I like this quote from Barack:

"But we always knew that hope is not blind optimism. It's not ignoring the enormity of the tasks ahead or the roadblocks that stand in our path. It's not sitting on the sidelines or shirking from a fight. Hope is that thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary [emphasis added], that something better awaits us if we have the courage to reach for it and to work for it and to fight for it."

It doesn't answer any of these philosophical questions, but it was timely when I read it.